Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and *ahem* a birthday..

It's been awhile, so I will throw a few things into one pile.

Thanksgiving was different this year. It was the first without Sam. I never knew a Thanksgiving without him, and to know that his place at the table was empty was depressing. But, to know that his place at the banquet table in Heaven was completely full gave me hope! I am so thankful for the gifts He's given me, both those in plain sight and those in disguise.

The day after Thanksgiving is usually my wife's time to shop with all the women in our two families. This year, Aaron and I tagged along. Actually, it was just the three of us. And not one item bought was bought for us. We have been thinking about this for quite some time now. So, we did go Christmas shopping on Friday; for a family we've never met. Single mother, three kids. One of the kids is Aaron's age, which tickled Aaron. He knew "exactly what the boy would love to have!" We bought each child a few clothes (what child doesn't love opening clothes on Christmas morning, right?). We bought a couple toys apiece. We bought the mother a few different items as well. Christmas is not about the presents, but when you have the ability to help those who are less fortunate than you, do it. It's our responsibility as Christians to look after our brothers. I'm really excited about meeting this family. We've invited them over to our house for Christmas, and I'm hoping they accept the invitation.

And I think it's someone's birthday today too. ;) 41 years already..

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I've been noticing that you aren't "here" so I wanted you to know that you are in my prayers. This is a busy time of year & I am certain that this will be a hard Christmas without your brother. Know that your blog friends are praying you through it.

Dawn said...

I keep checking in. Praying that 2010 is a year in which you will sense God's comfort, peace, and care.