Friday, November 13, 2009

Who God Is

I've really been trying to be quiet before the Lord the past few days. In trying to figure out this incredible God of the universe, I realized that I knew so little about the One who loves me unconditionally. God's still very much a mystery; though I think the good kind. As Aaron's said before, God's "like trying to sleep on Christmas Eve, but you can't 'cause you know the morning's coming!" I can't wrap my finger around who God really is, but I do know who He really wants me to be. I'm trying so hard to be the husband, father, and servant that He has planned, that He is molding. I fall, and I stumble, but I never turn away. There are days I don't understand God, a lot of days I don't understand God, and there are days that I wonder if He's just playing a mind game with me, but I know that His ways are perfect. I'm the sinner, not Him. Sometimes, I want to throw my hands up and say, "are You really there?" I've had a couple days like that this past week. Then, I look at a sunset. I feel the breeze on my face. I fall on my knees and humble myself in His amazing grace and love. I want so much of Him sometimes, but I don't stop to realize that He's already given me so much of Him. He's given me an amazing marriage to an amazing woman. He's given me an incredible son and daughter. He's given me breath. He's given me the ability to find love and compassion in this world. I spend so much time wondering if He's there, that I neglect the evidence sometimes. He's an awesome God, and I'm just a man. I can't make the sun rise. I can't make the stars twinkle. Only a perfect God can make beauty in this world of mess.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

JB, Thank you for this post. I needed to hear it. I am not in the same "place" that you are, and yet I, too, find myself forgetting to be in awe of who He is.

I have noticed that you haven't been on here for a week or so, and have been praying for you & your family. I will continue to do so. Thank you for encouraging others as you strive to faithfully follow.

Ann said...

Amen and amen!

Shoegirl said...

I think there are special people who touch God's heart. I think he desires that they come to know him in a deeper way, and unfortunately it takes a disaster sometimes to bring that about. I think the bible is full of names of those he has been proud of, and I think each generation has had it's share of his special children who he adorns. I think you and your family are amoung those. Feel special and valued each and every day.

I'm leaving you for awhile. I'm losing my job and will be joining the thousands of others in the unemployment line at the end of the week. I do not have a computer at home at the moment, but when I do, I will be back, because I love to read your blog. You are special and I know God is using your life as his hands and feet to carry on the message to the next generation.

So long for now and may you have your newest family member in your arms soon. My prayers will continually be with your family as you search and try to find the answers to comfort you.