Saturday, June 20, 2009

I went to see Up tonight with Aaron as a pre-Father's Day gift from him. He paid. I can't resist a free movie.. I had heard it was a sad movie, but I didn't realize how sad it could be when you're already sad before the movie even starts.

This is my second Father's Day with only one child down here on this side of Heaven. However, for our little Gracie and three Baby Tylers, it's a great Father's Day, having eyewitness contact with our Heavenly Father. As I've done every Father's Day since Aaron was born, I present my wife with something as well. She always acts like she doesn't want anything, but what woman would say no to a box of chocolates? After all, I wouldn't be celebrating this day tomorrow without Kate's decision to deem me worthy enough for father material.

We are leaving for New York City next Saturday, then onto Romania and to an orphanage that is currently being run by a couple incredible missionaries there. All three of us are going. This will be Aaron's first trip "across the pond". If I do my best in sharing the power of missionary work with him, it will hopefully not be his last.

As I sit here with just a few minutes until Father's Day arrives here in North Carolina, I know that with this day comes heavy emotions for millions of people. For the fatherless children, the fathers who've had to bury children far too soon, the hurt and broken relationships, the orphans, and so many more who are hurting this Father's Day eve, I pray for them. Right now, my four nieces and nephews are really missing their Dad tonight. I can't take away their hurt. I can't jump in and say, "Uncle Jay Jay is here, everything's better!" I'm not their daddy. I can't make it better. There are so many similar situations. There are so many hurting and broken hearts in this world. Who could possibly ever want to live forever down here..

No comments: