Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Just some of what is coming from this "vacation" are the stories my nieces and nephews are hearing about their dad when we were younger. Every night since we arrived here, I've shared some of the craziness that was Samuel Ryan Tyler. Tonight, I told them about the tree house accident, which might not have been an accident at all.

I was about eight, making Sam about 12 or 13. We had this treehouse in our backyard, an elaborate one. No rope ladder, just steps nailed to the tree. It had a couple windows, a chalkboard on one wall, and a balcony. My father kept finding ways of improving the house, which is still standing. I was a gullible kid, and my brothers took advantage of that often. One day, Sam and Danny convinced me that it was easier to fly out of the treehouse than climb down. They told me they both did it all the time, with their very own sets of invisible wings. Being gullible, and wanting to impress my older brothers, I told them I had invisible wings too. They didn't believe me, so I tried to prove it to them. I'm sure you know the outcome on this one. I came out of the situation with a broken arm and a few stitches. My brothers came out of it with some pretty sore bottoms.

1 comment:

Shoegirl said...

Ouch!!

Childhood memories are the best...and I can't imagine what it's going to be like to lose one of my 5 siblings.

I just pray these children can go forward and still make many more happy memories of their own. They will remember these days with you and your family. I'm sure they feel better about their future knowing they have you around to look after them. God bless you for what you are doing for them....mentally and spiritually.