Thursday, November 27, 2008

What I'm Thankful for..

I thought I'd take a couple minutes away from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade viewing party with Aaron to come on here and just be thankful. Tonight, around 5:00, our families are going to come together in the traditional Thanksgiving Day meal, but my thankfulness is not just for the turkey, dressing, yams, or mashed potatoes. So, here is my "thankfulness list."

I am thankful for...

-My Lord and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, that He created this universe, and He still cares enough about me to number the hairs on my head.

-Him placing me into my family. I have learned so much from my parents, all the great life lessons, and I couldn't have asked for better "partners in crime" than my two brothers.

-Him bringing Kate into my life. I have no doubt that it was His plan, not just coincidence.

-15+ years married to a beautiful and amazing woman, who sees the fact that I sometimes leave the milk out on accident when I'm in a hurry, and she loves me anyways.

-My three little treasures I never got to meet, but I love them dearly.

-My son, Aaron, who makes me laugh for no reason, and whose curiosity and wonder for life I hope never fades.

-My daughter, Grace, who is waiting for me to come Home. He gave her to us to teach us a lesson about His mercy and love, I'm sure of it. She's the first thought I think of when I wake up, and she's the last thought I think of when I go to bed. She will forever walk with me until the day that He calls me to Heaven, and I can see her face again.

-Being an American. I have been to several countries in my lifetime, and I am always proud to come home. This country isn't perfect, but it's such a beautiful land.

-Being a teacher. I remember being a young kid and thinking of some ways I could leave my mark on the world. This is it; I'm doing it.

-Having humility. My grandfather is one of the biggest teachers of this topic for me. It's not mine. It's never been mine. He's lending it to me. In a few minutes, Kate and I are going to take Aaron to a homeless shelter to serve Thanksgiving meals for its residents. It's important for him, and us, to see that we can help. We can serve. We can answer His call.

I was talking to Katie last night before we fell asleep (although I think she was half asleep when I was sharing my thoughts), and His Word was rolling through my head. Through the economic crisis, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the morality wars being fought, it's easy to stumble in your thankfulness to God and to get lost while trying to count your blessings. However, it's not about that. It's about His death on the cross. It's about his salvation for us who believe. It's about reaching out for His hand and holding onto His love for us. He is stronger than Nasdaq. He is mightier than Dow Jones. It's His world, and we have that to be thankful for this holiday season. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments: